March 8, 2011

Winter

Winter was coming, cooler, earlier dark.
No wandering to play in the local park.
We played more games under our street lamp.
Too cold? Earlier to our homes we'd tramp.

No TV then, at which we could look.
The radio; or read a history book.
Often, quite early we would go to bed,
Pulling the covers over our head.

This wasn't because we were none too bold,
But because the bedroom was freezing cold.
We'd go out during the day, we wrapped warm as we could.
Only to get mushrooms; look for chestnuts in local wood.

Let me explain what we poor had to wear;
Short trousers, grey flannel, we didn't care.
I wore no underwear till about this time.
All trousers were line, as were all mine.

I had two pairs of  'strides' as dad would say.
One pair playing and any 'working' day.
The other pair for best, was all I had.
No 'hand me downs' no brother; too big a dad.

Shorts were the same; cotton for best.
Maybe two, or flannels, made up the rest.
Stockings, or long socks, say what you will,
All my clothes a drawer would not fill.

I had a school tie and a silly school cap.
Never wore them and that was that.
Lastly a coat, made from a thin blanket, a jacket,
A 'lumber jacket' cheap, didn't cost a packet.

Footwear, I was in the same boat too.
What I had just would have to do!
Secondhand boots, acquired by my mum,
I was pleased with them, I'll tell you chum.

I was pleased with them, they fitted of course.
More metal on soles than the milkman's horse.
Studs on soles, with a 'blakey' on each heel
Sparked! Made a noise; how good did I feel?

When the snow began, off sledging to the park go,
But the sled runs were no good, too much snow.
After a few minutes, we had had enough,
Realized the weather was far too tough.

Before we got home, things got beyond the norm,
We had big winds, then a snowstorm!
I made my way to school next day;
Still snowing, half the kids had stayed away.

This the winter of forty-six and seven,
The snow must just about emptied heaven.
Got up next day to about two foot of snow;
Mum "Wrap up well, then out you can go!"

Sister in liberty bodice, dress, jumper, stocking;
Once outside we found the cold was shocking!
No winter gear, no hat, gloves, socks to my knees.
Within a few minutes, felt that I would freeze!

"Mum" I said "I'm cold, my hands, my knees and my ears!"
"I'll see what I can do. Come in again my little dears."
She put her stocking on me, dad's socks for gloves,
Scarf over my head, sister done too. "If you must, out loves."

All this extra stuff, went out, it was just no good!
We began freezing just where we stood.
Still it snowed; overhead the sky was so black,
Dad had cycled to work, only just made it back.

We stayed indoors, radio, reading, playing a game
But confined by the fire, warm but not the same!
Early to bed, it might seem to be alright,
But having to lay there, freezing all night.

Early next morning, I must have slept,
Crawled out of bed so cold, I nearly wept.
Scraped ice from the window so I could see,
But what I saw quite astonished me!

Normally I'd see the light across the street,
But my window was covered, snow fifteen feet!
The front of our house was covered by a drift,
Dad battled all day, all that snow to shift.

Still the snow, all day wafted down,
Flakes were bigger than a silver crown.
Dad remarked "Surely there can't be much more!"
As he clung and stamped inside back door.

That second night turned on the radio
Trying to find when the snow would go.
They said the snow, from Russia it came.
Dad said "Why don't the **** take it back again?"

I cannot remember, but winter seemed so long.
Talk about White Christmas, as in the song.
Lots of things then came to a halt,
Everyone blaming the snow as the fault.

But every time it snows in our land,
Things just seem to get out of hand.
But eventually got back on the track.
Pity really, school took us all back!

No comments:

Post a Comment