March 8, 2011

Family

Now of all things I found gave me the greatest joy;
Proud, when some said you're good at it, my boy!
I loved to swim, both in the pool or in the sea,
My little sister often was to accompany me.

About this time we made a long trip south,
To see my uncle, a sailor who lived in Plymouth.
Now time of trip, I'm not very sure,
Town centre a bomb site, nothing more.

A ruined church, half a pub, a Nissan hut.
The Nissan hut was Woolies, but it was shut.
Shown the famous "Tamar" bridge, took the ferry boat.
Uncle was still a Navy man, medal on his coat.

My aunt was a Plymouth born, fast did she talk.
Had some difficulty, bad legs, could hardly walk.
One thing I do remember, swimming in pool by sea,
Coming back to uncle's house, to a lovely Devon tea.

Auntie always had a pot of cream, from top of milk.
All day it sat, she skimmed off clotted cream, like silk.
We enjoyed our trip, never been so far,
We were taken about in my uncle's car.

A month or two later he visited all of us,
To see all the family, but not by bus.
Now he had an open-topped, red, small MG,
Then one day he said to me.

"How would you like to drive my car?"
It was top of my childish dreams, so far!
He showed me the works; I drove off down the street,
Hoping that that morning all my chums I'd meet!

Of course, my uncle sat by my side,
For the duration of my driving ride.
Not long after this time we went by train
To see mum's eldest brother once again.

This one, he lived in Cheswick, tube to Tufnell Green.
His house was lit by gas, first I'd ever seen.
I had two other uncles on my mother's side;
She also had two sisters, sadly one of them died.

Another brother like mum; short, very tough!
Tried to join Navy; eyes were not good enough!
Youngest brother, Navy, tallest in whole family,
Neighbours talking, when he visits sister unexpectedly.

Lastly was sister, always I had a good laugh,
Back to back in mirror, both were five foot and a half.
Looking to see if one had grown taller than the other,
Of course, they were just the same, auntie and my mother.

Funny thing, I still have that mirror from way back down the track.
And every time I pass it, I see them stretching back to back!
This rivalry was on every time they met; neither one would flinch,
The five foot was far enough; the feud was over that half an inch!

No comments:

Post a Comment