March 8, 2011

Childhood - 11+

This year, my last in the junior school just down the street,
Where I knew practically every one in there I'd meet.
Teachers began to talk of an exam called the eleven plus,
And for them, who seemed not to care, they made a fuss!

I asked my mum "What is all this to-do?"
She told me it is so important for you.
Like the teachers, it may decide your future career,
But your past results show you have nothing to fear.

I continued in, lead up to exams, to come in the top three.
Sailed through exams, they never bothered me.
Pass and you will go to the Ipswich Grammar;
There to "Uni", that was just the hammer.

I began to think, fail this one
Future life will be over and done.
Although our form were mostly working class,
Some were very bright; I knew a lot would pass.

Came the day, at desks in the assembly hall,
A strange atmosphere to one and all.
We all did the various test papers.
No calculators, ticked in box capers.

I must admit I was nervous as hell;
I knew I'd pass, but not all that well.
When I got home and told my dad,
"Past work will count, don't worry lad!"

It turned out twenty-two of our class passed.
Earlier results didn't count, just this last.
So many passes and just a few to go, we all knew,
Despite results, all was decided by an interview!

Now, I ask you, when you were just eleven?
Did you know what you wanted at twenty-seven?
Good at drawing, art I decided to select;
My future to be an architect.

Next question, "What was it, my father's job?"
I told him, nervously, a coughing sob.
"My father is a docker, please sir!"
"What kind of doctor?" slight smile infer.

He did this as he ticked the entry box,
I didn't have the guile then, like a fox,
"No sir! Not a doctor - a docker!" I said.
He crossed the papers with ink of red!

So my future was decided right then
When he crossed that paper with that pen.
So I was destined to just the senior school,
Education would not be a future tool.

Looking back, most couldn't afford the uniform;
That then was obviously quite the norm.
At the most, only two or three finally went;
All their dads was a white collar gent!

No comments:

Post a Comment