March 8, 2011

In Limbo

One thing I think we may have had then;
A black and white T.V. to pick up the gen.
I still remember the shows on the T.V.,
If I'm honest, most didn't appeal to me.

Now out of school, I'd watch just the same.
Contestants playing a stupid and silly game.
Winners take the money or go for a prize;
Audience do this or that, not very wise.

Wilfred Pickles and Miss Carson on the piano.
What it was all about, I still do not know.
Miss Carson, we were much later to meet;
As Ena Sharples on Coronation Street.

Muffin the mule, one for the younger set;
A puppet show you could never forget.
Dixon of Dock Green, a very old copper,
Jack Warner, he never came a cropper.

We still used to listen to our valve radio's
I.T.M.A. star, Handly, one of my favourite shows.
Paul Temple, the Flying Scotsman theme.
A detective who was never to be seen.

One of the silliest shows I can now recall,
Just didn't seem, to me, quite right at all. 
Archie, now he was the star of the show,
A ventriloquist's dummy, don't you know.

Hughie Green had a talent show spot.
Stars were made out of it quite a lot.
Dick Barton, Jock and sidekick Snowy, too.
These were the shows, to name but a few. 

No comments:

Post a Comment