March 8, 2011

Saturday Pictures

I don't know when we started to go
To the kids Saturday morning picture show.
I remember the cost to get us in was six pence,
I think mum gave a bob each, that would make sense.

A tuppenny tram ticket for me and my sis,
Mum sent us off with a loving hug and kiss.
We were members, a badge no special treat.
Perhaps got in sooner, there chums to meet.

Finally the movies, they would begin.
All kids shouting, what a din!
Old favorite, Tom and Jerry, Bugs Bunny;
Loved those cartoons, they were so funny!

Then I believe a sort of documentary.
Some were sure to fascinate me,
Next a cowboy film, starring perhaps Tom Mix, oldish gent;
All the kids would, as the name came up, they'd shout in cement!

Hopalong Cassidy I also call to mind;
White hair, black stetson, old with a fat behind!
A horse called Trigger and his rider Roy Rogers,
Both were up to all the western dodges.

In my head it was a sure fired thing,
The horse was smarter, just couldn't sing.
Of course, before we all left the ring,
We all stood, God Save the King.

Put my sister on the bus for our stop,
Then run home, like I did the butcher's shop.
Run one lamppost, to next a swift walk,
If I saw mates, no time for a talk.

Because the bus had to make several stops
I was normally first to stop by our shop.
Mum liked the morning free when we were at pics!
She makes the cakes, fighting over bowl licks.

Morning kid's pictures soon went out of fashion,
When all day Bingo became such a passion.
Some cinemas closed down due to the new television,
In our house yet there was certainly no such provision.

Airlift to Berlin, reminded me of the war.
Relief planes over our house seemed to roar.
Now the Reds and Allies were not too bold;
This was a different war, called 'Cold'!

The Reds wanted Berlin all theirs to be.
But determined Yanks, French and us kept it free.
About forty-eight nothing much more to be said.
Oh! Yes, it was then they stopped rationing bread!

All this time my paper route I plied.
No rubbish foods went in my inside.
I think us kids were much healthier then,
Not stuck inside, watching TV from morning to ten.

Up like a lark, no school, raced out to play,
Not moping around in bed most of the day.
We were fit, slim and fast on our feet,
The like today you will be lucky to meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment