March 7, 2011

Chapter 10

Grandparents I hardly got to know.
Sometimes to dad's mum's place we'd go.
His mother - 70ish! So it was said
Took to and remained in her bed.

I asked my mum "What's wrong with her?"
"Nothing, but from that bed she won't stir."
Her hair was long - still black as jet.
I close my eyes; can see her there yet.

She still had grownup "boys" living there.
Trained them as if by whip and chair.
My mind's eye saw a black pointed hat -
There was no besom broom or black cat!

Her son's my dad; did as they were told.
All great big men, but with her not bold.
Her husband, my grandad, kept clear of the house.
After years with her, doubtless more of a mouse.

Once out of her sight, dad and he would talk.
From what I could gather he was a nice old sort.
Him and his brothers - and there were lots -
Worked as Dockers on the east coast docks.

He smoked a cheap small pipe made of wood;
Away from his wife, when he thought he could.
As I've said he seemed a nice old chap;
Always to be seen in a workers peaked cap.

Wore that cap both indoors and out.
Buried in it, I wouldn't doubt.
Weirdest thing though was his clothes!
From a bygone era, I suppose.

Worn by old East Enders, I would surmise.
I never saw him in anything otherwise.
Black suit; none too clean, and never pressed.
The only way I ever saw him dressed.

Sometimes he'd remove his jacket if it was warm,
But never his flat hat - that was always worn.
Pinstriped shirt; always without a collar;
Black waistcoat. But by strangest by far.

He always wore a tasselled white, silk scarf.
Taught to respect my elders, or I'd laugh.
The middle of it - at the back of his neck - was outside waistcoat placed;
Crossed on his chest; around the back; forward and tied up at the waist!

Also there a thick, heavy, buckled leather belt.
In the summer it's a wonder he didn't melt!
Both passed away during or just after the war.
That's a guess, because I saw them no more.

No comments:

Post a Comment